Parts of the book
Effective Library Operations Librarians should know the characteristics and parts of a book in order to help the operation be good, fast, and accurate, and help the reader to be more convenient in researching and referring to learning. The different parts of the book are divided into 3 parts. Sections are the front, middle, and footer sections.
The front part includes
- The cover (Book Jacket) is art paper printed in beautiful colors on the front with the book’s name. back author’s name may contain pictures and biographies of the author’s work. Useful is to prevent the cover from getting dirty or getting old quickly. attract attention can help buy
- The cover is a book cover that has both a softcover and a hardcover on the front with the book’s name and title.
The author may have a symbol of the source of production. Serves to hold the booklet and maintain its shape durable. The book cover has 2 covers, the front cover, and the back cover.
- The spine of the book (Spine) is the part that holds the front cover and the back cover together. The spine of the book may contain the title, author name and imprint symbol printed, etc.
- Flyleaves is a blank paper next to the cover. Help hold the book cover and the content together. There will be both front and back.
The title page is an important function of a book that tells details such as the title of the book, the author’s name, the time of publication, the place of publication, the publisher, and the year of publication. Libraries use this section for card making, information searching, bibliography, and bibliography.
- The copyright page is located behind the front cover to provide details about the publication. as well as the copyright year print time International standard number, ISBN, publisher, city of publication, etc.
- The preface is the page where the author informs the cause, purpose, scope of content, as well as how to use the book.
- Table of Contents (Contents) is a page that tells the important topics of the content, arranged in order of chapters with page numbers, making it possible to find the desired topic quickly.
- Content (Text) is the most important part of a book. There are details of the content in the table of contents. Books with a lot of content may not end in one book.
- Illustration (Illustration) is a part of the content. in order to see the content more clearly and interestingly
- Table (Table) is the part used to compose the content. to make the content clearer and easier to understand
- Bibliography is a list of books. various publications which the author brought in order Author’s name It may be at the end of the chapter or at the end of the book This bibliography confirms that the author has actually studied it. And readers can go read more in this document. Some are called reference books or Reference page
- An appendix is a piece of content added to complete the text, which may be written by yourself or copied from. another book for readers to understand the details of that story because the author does not can be described in the content Because the text is not continuous or is not the true content of the book, but is related to the story. therefore brought to the end of the book without having to waste time searching and reading from other books
- A glossary is a description of the words that appear in the text, most of which are from books with difficult words or specific vocabulary, such as old literature. Or technical terms, the author will arrange the words in alphabetical order. with explanation for easy search
- Index or index (Index) is a section that contains a list or list of important words or phrases contained in a book, such as specific names, and event names. or important topics, etc., arranged in alphabetical order. with the page number of the book appearing in that word or name