What is IGCSE test and system?
IGCSE (International General Certificate of Secondary Education) and A-LEVEL (Cambridge International Advanced Level) or AS-LEVEL (Cambridge International Advanced Subsidiary Level) are British post-secondary education programs that are offered at many international schools.
IGCSE is the qualification system for upper secondary education. which courses are accepted or standardized in the UK or The English system (international school) by the IGCSE exam, the students have to choose 5 subjects together. These 5 subjects consist of basic listening, speaking, and writing English. The other 2 subjects are specific subjects.
The subject content of IGCSE and A-LEVEL is diverse and can be divided into the following groups of subjects for the purpose of preparing for university studies. The IGCSE exam is a pathway that is important to advance to a higher level. Including affecting university admissions.
IGCSE has a total of 6 sections, 70 subjects such as:
- Mathematics such as Mathematics, Cambridge International Mathematics, Additional Mathematics.
- English language skills and literature group
- Science subjects such as Agriculture , Biology , Chemistry , Environmental Management , Marine Science , Physical Education , Physical Science , Physics , Science – Combined , Sciences – Co-ordinated
- Languages such as Afrikaans , Arabic , Bahasa Indonesia , Chinese , Dutch , French , German , Greek , Hindi , Indonesian , IsiZulu , Italian , Japanese , Korean , Malay , Portuguese , Russian , Spanish , Swahili , Turkish , Urdu ,
- Humanities and Social Sciences such as Development Studies , Economics , Geography , Global Perspectives , History , History – American (US) , Islamiyat , Latin , Pakistan Studies , Religious Studies , Sanskrit , Sociology
- Professional and professional skills such as Accounting , Art & Design , Business Studies , Computer Science , Design & Technology , Drama , Enterprise , Food & Nutrition , Information & Communication , Technology , Music , Physical Education , Travel & Tourism
Each course can bring the number of each course. You can view the details of that course here: http://www.cambridgeinternational.org
For the IGCSE exam, you have to choose 5 subjects to get the IGCSE Certificate. IGCSE has more than 70 subjects to choose from. Students can choose the exam according to their aptitude and ability. The content of the exam in each subject will have different levels of difficulty, making the IGCSE exam have 2 levels as follows:
- Core (Basic) takes less time and fewer clauses than Extended. The grades to be obtained are C,D,E,F,G.
- Extended (Advanced) If you choose this level of exam, you will get a grade that is higher than Core. Grades to be obtained are A*,A,B,C,D,E.
Note: Students who have taken the IGCSE from 2017 onwards will also need to take 3 AS/A-Level exams in order to be able to compare their results to the high school qualification.
IGCSE and A-LEVEL grading range from A, ABCDE, AS-LEVEL is the same as A-LEVEL, except without A. The exam periods are the same, with 2 rounds: 1) May-Jun and 2) Oct-Nov of each year. You can view the timeline schedule, application for the exam, and the announcement of the exam results as follows:
1. Examination period First round (May-June)
- Regular examination period Early December-early Feb.
- Late application period: within February,
- scores will be issued in September,
- certificate will be received on Thurs. September,
2. Examination period, second round (Oct.-Nov.),
- application period for the regular examination round Beginning of July – beginning of August
- Late application period Early August – beginning of September
- Scores issued February of the following year
- Receive certificate May of the following year
By canceling the comparison of qualifications in the country and abroad And each higher education institution determines the criteria, conditions, and qualifications of those studying in higher education as appropriate. Therefore, students who wish to use the IGCSE qualification apply for admission to the university. Must inquire directly to the university which criteria to apply for admission.
The subject groups that offered are:
- English as a Second Language – Speaking Endorsement (0510)
- Mathematics – Without Coursework (0580)
- Additional Mathematics (0606)
- Cambridge International Mathematics (0607)
- Biology (0610)
- Chemistry (0620)
- Physics (0625)
- Combined Science (0653)
- Environmental Management (0680)
HUMANITIES & SOCIAL SCIENCES
- Sociology (0495)
- Economics (0455)
- Business Studies (0450)
- Geography (0460)
- Travel and Tourism (0471)
How to choose IGCSE subjects?
Most schools require students to take at least 5-6 IGCSE subjects, including three compulsory subjects such as English, Science and Mathematics that are considered Core Subjects. Interests such as arts, humanities or sports.
In some highly competitive universities, in addition to A Level results, IGCSE scores may be referred to “in some subjects.” Therefore, the quality of the scores is more important than the quantity of the subjects chosen. “Some universities may not retrieve IGCSE scores.”
What exams does IGCSE take?
The IGCSE exam consists of a written paper, an oral and listening test, and may vary from subject to subject. Students must take at least 5 subjects to obtain the IGCSE Certificate.
The IGCSE assessment is graded on 8 grading scales from A+ to G, where A+ is the highest score.
In most subjects, students have the choice between Core Curriculum and Extended Curriculum, where the Core Curriculum is an overview of the subject, with a maximum score range of C-G, while the Extended Curriculum is an in-depth study. in more detail Students can score up to A+ – C.
IGCSE – FAQ
Is IGCSE accepted?
IGCSE was developed over 30 years ago by Cambridge Assessment International Education to provide international students with the same certification as the GCSE. Both IGCSE and GCSE have similar subject areas. Both qualifications are at the same level. Therefore, both universities and employers view them as having equal dignity and rights.
How do I register for the IGCSE exam?
There are three easy steps to register for the IGCSE exam. First, you must complete the online registration through the school’s exam registration system. Second, you have to pay for the exam. Third, the documents must be submitted in order to be confirmed. It’s important to note that there must be a valid email address. This is because all communications regarding registration will be automatically sent directly to the email account.
How can I check IGCSE results online?
Firstly, you must register for the online test results service. This can be done by visiting Cambridge English Online Service and clicking on the Register button. Then the applicant ID and secret number must be entered from the confirmation of entry. After that can enter your email address and choose a password. When the test results are ready, you will receive a confirmation email. You can then log in to view the results.
What subjects does IGCSE English teach?
IGCSE ESL (English as a Second Language) is divided into two main categories: Primary and Additional. At the end of each class Three subjects must be taken, namely: Reading and writing, listening and speaking for the main categories. or Reading and Writing, Listening and Speaking for more categories. For English Literature, there are three different subjects that include prose and vocals, drama and literature that have never been seen before in a classroom.
What subjects does IGCSE Mathematics offer?
There are two types: Core subjects and additions Each category consists of two subjects, for example Additional Mathematics. Paper 2 and Paper 4 exams are required, each with different times and scores. The difficulty level of each type is different. Able to download documents of various subjects Last year and scoring tables are available on the Cambridge IGCSE official website.
How many students take the IGCSE each year?
More than 120,000 students take the IGCSE exam per year. The course is popular among students because of its wide range of subjects. The teaching method also encourages students to make connections between subjects. It also reduces the barriers to teaching and learning that GCSE has and has the same dignity and rights as GCSE.
What subjects does IGCSE offer?
IGCSE core courses consist of a first language, a second language, mathematics, and one or more science subjects. You can also choose to study other subjects. For example, the IGCSE Biology course includes: Characteristics and classification of living things move in and out of cells human nutrition, etc.
What are the benefits of IGCSE?
One of the major advantages is that IGCSE is recognized worldwide, so IGCSE students can apply for admission to foreign universities that do not accept CBSE and ICSE. Second, the courses are more advanced and there is a wide variety of subjects to choose from. It also encourages students to develop their analytical thinking skills.