Baroque Church in Philippines Story
Registration as a world heritage site
These 4 churches, in addition to showing the rise of Christianity in the Philippines Was also the center of Spanish power in this region at that time as well And is honored in architecture with European Baroque art created by Chinese and Filipino artisans. All 4 churches have been registered as World Heritage Sites in 1993, with the qualifications being Requirements and criteria for considering cultural heritage in the amount of 2 items as follows:
- a very powerful thing Push for continuous development in architectural design, monuments, sculptures, gardens and landscapes, as well as the development of related arts. Or the development of human settlement Which has occurred in a certain period of time Or on any area Of the world that preserves culture
- an outstanding example of the type of structure that represents the development of culture, society, arts, science, technology, industry in the history of mankind.
Baroque Church of the Philippines That has been registered as a cultural heritage in Indonesia consists of 4 churches which are
- San Augustine Church in Manila
(San Agustin Church in Manila)
- Church of Santa Maria In santa maria Santa Maria Church in Ilocos Sur
- San Agustin Church in Paua, Ilocos Norte
(San Agustin Church in Paoay, Ilocos Norte)
- Church of Santo Tomas de Villanueva in Miami, Iloilo Province
(Sto. Tomas de Villanueva Church in Miagao, Iloilo)
Baroque Church of the Philippines It consists of 4 Roman Catholic churches built between the 16th and 18th centuries during the Philippines’ colonization of Spain. In addition to showing the rise of Christianity in the islands of the Philippines Is also the center of Spanish colonial power. The church’s unique architecture not only reflects the adaptation of Spanish or Latin American architecture to the local environment. But there is also a combination of Chinese art and patterns, also due to the influence of the church in politics. To unite the church and state The church became the target of attacks from revolution and rebellion in the country.
These churches therefore are not just religious buildings. But also fortresses still appear as in the case of the Church of Santa Maria Which is located on a hill and serves as a fortress during a crisis time and the church of Miami, which serves to resist the occasional attacks of Muslims from the south In addition, the Philippines is located on a line called the Ring of Fire Pacific. Which is an area that is prone to earthquakes often, so the construction gives importance to the foundation of the church. Although some places will be damaged by the earthquake. But was rebuilt in lieu of the 4 churches that were registered as a World Cultural Heritage together in 1993.